Atlanta is a huge sprawling city with many sites to see and places to dine. Having lived in the Atlanta area for over twelve years, I have found some really unique dining destinations that I thought I’d share with you.
1. Ten Degrees South – I love this unique restaurant specializing in South African cuisine. Although their menu rarely changes, its unusual menu is hard to pass up. Located in Buckhead in a cozy house with a romantic wood burning fire, it’s a perfect romantic setting. In the back of the restaurant there is a wonderful bar often with live music. Their menu offers such common items like steak, lamb and beef curry, but be adventurous and try something different like ostrich, sosaties, peri-peri chicken, biltong, boerewors, or Cape Kingklip all prepared in South African spices. Try my favorite, bobotie.
2. Cafe Intermezzo – Perimeter Mall area. This is a very classy European style coffee-house. I’d venture to say it has one of the largest coffee drink menus in town offering hundreds of drink choices. It’s a great place for a romantic get together, a fun girl’s night out or for a nice lunch gathering. Not only does the cafe offer a vast array of coffee beverages, teas, beers, wines, liquors, but they make their own deserts daily. Since they are all on display around the bar, beware, it’s a major temptation. They have a very nice, light fare menu. One of my favorites is the chicken mango and avocado wrap. By the way, there are two other locations, one downtown and one at the airport. All offer different atmospheres that are unique unto themselves. All worth a try.
3. Imperial Fez – Moroccan cuisine at its finest. This is an experience you will not soon forget. They offer many events throughout the month such as night of fire, cooking with chef Rafih and belly dance classes. This is a fun way to spend an afternoon. The five-course dinner is the way to go. It includes: your choice of a main dish such as lamb, beef, Cornish hen or fish and Harrira soup served with Moroccan Bread, your choice of a variety of Moroccan salads, appetizer with cornish game hen, roasted almonds, cinnamon and spicy eggs, a dessert pastry, fresh fruit cocktail and Morrocan Hot Mint Tea.
4. Tierra – this authentic Caribbean, Latin American bistro is located in Buckhead. This husband and wife team opened the doors in 1999. Their menu includes fish, beef, pork, chicken, shrimp and even a veggie dish all prepared with a Caribbean flavor. For dessert, don’t miss the Tierra dulce de leche ice cream or cajeta crepes. You won’t be sorry.
5. Two Urban Licks – this is the place to take your out-of-town friends located in Virginia Highlands. With its converted warehouse vibe, they offer live Blues music several times a week and a spectacular view. The kitchen in the round is entertainment any night of the week. There is an impressive wall of wine to please anyone’s palate. Small plates are the menu with specialties like Lamb Lollipops with goat cheese and chile jam, Sea Scallops with smoked gouda grits and smoked salmon, chipotle cream cheese, red onion and capers. It’s a great place to bring a bunch of friends and sample a little bit of everything. I highly recommend the seafood gumbo.
If you live in the Atlanta area or are just visiting and are feeling adventurous, try these unique places to eat.